PeaZip is a free ZIP files utility and free RAR file extractor, a fast and elegant all-purpose file manager and archive manager tool for Windows, Linux, and BSD. The program freatures a powerful unified GUI that, unlike most of other classic file archivers like i.e. WinZip and WinRar, is natively portable and cross-platform. PeaZip is based on solid and proven Open Source technology of 7-Zip for handling mainstream archive formats, and other great Open Source tools (FreeARC, PAQ, UPX) for supporting additional file formats and features, for a total of over 150 file formats supported. Create 7Z, ARC, BZ2, GZ, *PAQ, PEA, QUAD/BALZ, TAR, UPX, WIM, XZ, ZIP files. Open and extract RAR, ACE, ARJ, CAB, DEB, DMG, ISO, LHA, RPM, UDF, ZIPX files.
PeaZip is localized in 29 languages and is capable of handling all most popular archive formats (150+ file types), supporting a wide array of advanced file and archive management features (search, bookmarks, thumbnail viewer, hashing, find duplicate files, convert archives), especially focused on security (strong encryption, two factor authentication, encrypted password manager, secure deletion). The distinctive trait of PeaZip is the innovative and easy to use compression/extraction interface, more similar to CD burners interfaces rather than to a classic file compressor: this design makes extremely simple to check/update items set for compression and extraction, integrating a full featured file manager component. Also, tasks created in the GUI can be easily saved and scheduled as batch scripts, in order to help automate backup/restore operations, or for fine tuning, or for learning purpose, bridging the gap between the ease of use of GUI applications and power and flexibility of console.
What is new in this release:
- Updated 7z backend to 16.04
- Can now save list of items being browsed to TXT file, Navigation > Save as TXT
- Separated Add and Convert dropdown menus
- Single "Extract" button for simplicity - quick extraction action/options are now all featured in Extract button dropdown menu
- Browser, and archive/extraction screens, shows "filter" icon when advanced filters are set
- Updated Ten teme
- Archiving and extraction screens shows cumulative progress bar when executing multiple operations
- Improved command line options
- Various fixes
What is new in version 6.1.1:
Release 6.1.1 is focused in improving usability, archive browsing and on-the-fly inspection of archive structure and content.
What is new in version 6.1.0:
Release 6.1.0 is focused in improving browsing and on-the-fly inspection of archive structure and content: the archive browser now displays archive directory tree in navigation sidebar, and the breadcrumb shows in-archive directories at each node. Initial directory can now be customized, last visited (default), computer's root, desktop, home, and custom user defined directory.
What is new in version 6.0.2:
- Updated 7z backend from 15.14 to 16.00 after Cisco Talos vulnerability disclosure http://blog.talosintel.com/2016/05/multiple-7-zip-vulnerabilities.html
- Can now correctly handle WinZip spanned files (.z01)
- Fixed sorting for packed size
- Updated embedded translations
What is new in version 6.0.1:
Release 6.0.1 comes with new themes and a major code cleanup, while IDE was updated to Lazarus 1.6 / FPC 3 in order to provide full Unicode compliance to the application.
PEA file format specifications were updated to 1.1 version, introducing support for SHA3 hash (256 and 512 bit), and Twofish and Serpent EAX mode (128 and 256 bit) authenticated encryption. SHA3 is now also available as hash function in file browser.
What is new in version 6.0.0:
Full Unicode support, extract archives recursively from directory, new themes.
What is new in version 5.9.0:
- PeaZip can now extract RAR5 files on Linux without resorting on separate UNRAR5 Plugin (still available as optional alternative extraction engine).
- Improved UTF-8 support in Windows.
- Improved application startup and configuration process to make it more robust in case of random / system errors.
- Improved secure delete, free space delete, and hashing / analysis functions.
- File hashing / analysis tools added in Test dropdown group in application tool bar.
- Automatically removes redundant intermediate directory when extracting to new folder.
What is new in version 5.8.1:
- Improved file rename.
- Various aspect improvements.
- Improved UTF-8 support in Windows.
- 188 file extensions supported.
What is new in version 5.7.2:
Updated 7z backend to 15.06, can now extract RAR5 file format; UNRAR5 plugin based on RarLab's implementation is still supported as alternative extraction option.